Welcome to Aoraki Balloon Safaris
The “Magical” Sky Experience
Come and experience the sheer magic of hot air ballooning over the Canterbury plains with Aoraki Balloon Safaris, Methven. Recognised as a principle leader in safety and innovation, Aoraki Balloon Safaris has been operating since 1992 from their Methven base, and has a team of highly experienced pilots and crew who will make your experience an unforgettable one, right from your tranquil ascent to the Champagne style breakfast on landing!
Aoraki Balloon flights operate all year round, weather dependant. Day-break is the best time to fly, with conditions clear, cool, calm and stable; perfect for a gentle drift out over the patchwork plains towards the snow capped Southern Alps so unique to Canterbury.
We offer a number of different flight packages including balloon weddings. On a fine day, expect to see a full 300km panorama with views of Mt Cook and the national park mountains and the Rakaia River (one of the world's finest examples of a braided river system).
Let our experienced pilots and ground crew take care of you on a fantastic skyward adventure. We are passionate about both hot air ballooning and the central Canterbury region and we look forward to sharing our knowledge and time with you ensuring a personal experience you will never forget.
» Why do we operate where we do?
The central Canterbury Plains is the finest place in New Zealand for Hot Air Ballooning.
- Nestled well inland, the prevailing breeze from the Southern Alps gently carries our flight across the Canterbury Plains.
- The Methven location allows our balloons to be flown at higher altitudes for a portion of the flight as we don't have international airport and city restrictions.
- The views- see the full 300km panorama of the entire Canterbury Plains, including pristine views of Aoraki/Mt Cook and the Mt Cook National Park mountains, by Mt Hutt ski field.
- Methven is only 1 hour 10 min from Christchurch, or 94km SW enroute to Queenstown and Dunedin south. We can arrange transfers but having your own transport allows you much more independence.
» What do we offer?
- A unique experience of the true Canterbury, from the balloon flight to local history to the Champagne style breakfast in the field, complete with suitably attired waiter and silver tray.
- A number of different flight packages, and we can cater to your needs- weddings, conference flights, VIP/Dignitary flights, and also a special NON-flying ground fare for those who want to come along, watch and do everything except fly in the balloon.
- Group discounts available
- A unique way to enjoy New Zealand's rural heartland and the spectacular Southern Alps
- A brilliant experience you will remember forever
- Personalised attention.