Links and Activities
The “Magical” Sky Experience
» In Methven Region
- Visit the new Methven Heritage Centre & "I" Site. This complex displays the story of the food chain as an Agricultural Experience (Methven region being the very start of this interesting chain of events) and NZ's only Snow and Ski museum/experience.
- International skiing on Mt Hutt (winter). All other Canterbury ski fields are within 1.5 hours drive.
- Parachuting (including tandem) at the Pudding Hill parachute school.
- Para-gliding and hang gliding from Mt Hutt (winter).
- Jet boat the Rakaia Gorge.
- A jet boat tour of the world's finest example of a braided river system on the Rakaia River.
- Rafting the Rangitata and Rakaia river gorges.
- Kayaking, abseiling, caving, tramping.
- Salmon fishing in the Rakaia River, and fly-fishing for trout in nearby mountain streams around Lakes.
- Planet Argo, an eight wheel driven all terrain vehicle experience.
- Horse riding in Methven, Rakaia Gorge or Staveley. Horse trekking around Lake Coleridge.
- Hunting tours for deer, thar and wild pigs.
- Mountain biking from Methven.
- Several bush walks -- Rakaia Gorge, Awa Awa Rata Reserve, Staveley to the Sharplin Falls, Mt Somers Woolshed Creek.
- Farm and back country station tours, including arable farm tours.
- Golfing at Methven, Ashburton and the new International course at Terrace Downs by Rakaia Gorge.
- The Methven craft shop in the village mall.
- A visit to Ashfords Craft Village in Ashburton is a must.
- The plains museum, vintage machinery and historical railway at Tinwald.
- Visit the McKay's "Farm Haven" and museum in Methven.
» In Methven Region
- Methveninfo.co.nz - For a complete range of accommodation and activities in this region.
- amazingspace.co.nz - For additional information including skiing on Mt Hutt Ski Field.
- The Canterbury Pages
- Stronechrubie High Country Cuisine Chalets Mt Somers accommodation restaurant
» Links to Related Web Sites
- Pinedale Backpacker Lodge
- Abisko Lodge
- Balloon Safaris NZ
- Aerostar International manufacturer of the balloons used by Aoraki Balloon Safaris
- Balloon Pages on the WWW, a massive list of links to most balloon sites on the internet
- Experience New Zealand, NZ Travel, accommodation, tours and vacation experts
- Jasons complete Travel Site, official visitor information guide to Christchurch, Canterbury and Queenstown
- Hot Air Ballooning, this directory lists hot air ballooning sites
- Flying Directory- is the all in one place to start your aviation search covering everything from flight school, helicopter, and flight attendant training.
- FlyAdvance.com- links to aviation directory resources and information websites.
- Escape Rentals- Campervan Hire New Zealand.
back to top